Metals and Ores
The followings are very important details in Kerala Public Service Examination point of view.Study tem with utmost care those who are preparing for forthcoming LDC &LGS Examination conducted by Kerala Public Service Commission
- Ore is a naturally occurring solid material from which a metal or valuable mineral can be extracted profitably.
- Metallurgy is the process of extracting metal in a pure state on a large scale from its ore by physical and chemical means.
- Gerog Agricola is author of De re Metallica, and important early book on metal extraction.
- Gangue is the impurity present in the ore.
- Calcination is the process of heating the ore below its melting point in the absence of air to remove volatile impurities like Arsenic.
- Roasting is the process in which the ore is heated below its melting point in the presence of air to oxidize the impurities. Eg: carbon, sulphur etc removed as their gaseous oxides.
|Calcium||..||Gypsum, Limestone, dolomite, Fluorspar|
|Copper||..||Copper pyrites, copper glance, Malchite|
|Iron||..||Heamatite, Magnetite, Iron Pyrites|
|Lead||..||Galena, Litharge, Cerussite|
|Potassium||..||Carnallite, Sylvine kainite|
|Silver||..||Argentite, Pyrargyrite, Stephanite, Born silver, Cinnabar|
|Uranium||..||Pitch blend, Carnotite|
|Zinc||..||Zinc blend, Calamine, Zincite, Sphalerite,|